Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rainy Seattle

Well, we said good bye to our friends (very sad!) we left Wyoming for Seattle. After traveling every day with Mike and Jessica for almost two weeks, that 14 hour drive felt a little lonely! But we pressed on and made it safely to one of my personal favorite cities, made all the more exciting with a night in a hotel!!! After we had had some time to sleep in a real bed, get hot showers, and do some laundry, we hit the streets for the most tourist-y place I could think of-- Pike Place Market! We ate pounds of fresh fruit (gotta love those free samples!), watched the fish get thrown around, and gazed longingly at the piles of beautiful flowers. It was a lot of fun!

Taylor dying for some Starbucks :(
Apples, apples, and more apples!
Missing my "news"
Fresh homemade donuts are NOT on the budget for road trippers.
After that I took Taylor to the one place that I knew he would love more than anything else in Seattle...REI! Did you know that Seattle is home to the BIGGEST REI in the world??!! Well, ok, I don't actually know that for a fact, but it definitely seems like the biggest! We spent not one, not two, but four and a half hours in there!!! I think we were more exhausted from spending so much time in that store than we have been after our hikes! Anyway, we picked up all kinds of things that we were needing and made some new friends with the employees and headed out into the rain to find a campsite. I can't believe I am saying this, but after our "night off" in the hotel, part of me was actually looking forward to being back in our little tent. I must be losing it after so much time spent roughing it!

Turns out that the rainy stereotype of Seattle is, unfortunately, quite true. At least it has been for the past 24 hours. Not feeling terribly enthusiastic about hiking in the pouring rain, we opted instead for some nerdy sightseeing. And by nerdy, I really mean it. I am slightly ashamed to say that I dragged Taylor to the small town of Forks, which for those of you who are way cooler than I am and do not know, is where the book series Twilight takes place. It was a cute little town but, but a little overwhelming as there was TWILIGHT. JUNK. EVERYWHERE. We drove out almost as quickly as we drove in, as Forks is evidently a TINY town, and continued up through Olympia National Park. Gorgeous!!

Tomorrow we will be heading to Portland, Oregon- a place both of us have wanted to visit for a long time! Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. The Olympic picture is exactly how I remember it when I, as a high schooler, backpacked with my family. Beautiful!!! But then you had to deal with why it is so green - Rain, Rain, Rain :( Love You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would have loved to go to Pikes Place Market. That looks awesome! I would have surely bought the donuts and not the REI merchandise. Doughnuts are so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete